Thursday, November 20, 2008

Twitteriffic

I can't really claim any responsibility for this, but I am kind of excited. At work, we're starting to use Twitter to get the word out about our marketing campaigns and events, and it's pretty new to our group. I don't use Twitter in my personal life, mostly because I am too boring to broadcast my doings every 5 minutes, but I am familiar with the site and the technology, so I am heading up this project at work.

I went through a brief presentation yesterday, outlining our strategy and best practices and the team agreed that it was a good idea, even if they were thoroughly confused. Everyone kept making jokes about how old they felt (even though they're only a few years older than me, and although I feel 90, I am only 1/3 of that) and what happened to just picking up the phone and darn kids, get offa my lawn! So I was really happy to see this morning that I had new "followers" on Twitter -- my colleagues. They had each gotten over their nervousness and plunged right in with both feet. It is very practical, of course, but also very cool. It feels... I dunno... right? Happy? Giddy? to have them out there. In fact, my boss said that within just a few minutes of signing up she was getting pinged by old colleagues who must have used an email search to find her (her screenname is something generic) which was weird, but interesting. Those people had been Twittering for a while, so she was able to go through their blurbs.

Anyway, I am kind of amused at this whole thing. I am excited to see how it will work for our business and I am glad to see my co-workers embracing it. I am also extremely happy to see that they're finding uses for social networking that they were intimidated by or maybe just hesitant to try. It's like convincing someone who has never had ice cream to take a taste and - hey! they like it! And who knows? Maybe they'll be the experts soon. I'm just glad that it has been a positive experience so far.

1 comment:

Sizzle said...

I'm planning on launching Twitter in my new role at work. We don't do enough on line stuff and I really want to reach out to the 20-30somethings. We should compare notes!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin