Friday, November 21, 2008

Pushing My Buttons

What I really want to say is this whole diatribe against the television networks and their outmoded system of tracking "ratings" and assigning random values to entertainment and the ridiculous quest for profits... but I want to keep myself off the crazy train for one more day. So instead, I will unload my woes to you about the cancellation of Pushing Daisies. 'Daisies' is unfortunately one of those shows that is a smidge too smart for it's own good (See also: Arrested Development, The Comeback, Firefly) and since it's not middle-of-the-road material, not every 80 year old grandmother in Arkansas is going to 'get it' or like it (and guess who is being monitored by Nielson?) and so it'll get pulled off the air, leaving tens of millions of disappointed fans.

As you may have heard, ABC has cancelled 3 of its shows: Pushing Daisies, Eli, and Dirty Sexy Money. For the first time ever, I am adding my name to a petition to save a TV show. As silly as it sounds, I have really grown to love Pushing Daisies and I think the series has recently hit its stride and has the ability to continue on and get better and better.

If you feel the same way, consider adding your voice and let the executives know how you feel. It's no longer far-fetched that the networks will listen to the fans of a show - remember Jericho? It was revived by fans sending peanuts to the studio (over 20 tons!). Nielson ratings are wildly inaccurate and if we want the studios to listen to us, we have to speak loudly.

Sign the online petition at: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/daisies/

Email ABC and let them know you care via this link.

Send a letter, postcard, or packet of seeds* as a visual sign of your support:

ABC Entertainment
500 S. Buena Vista St
Burbank, CA 91521-4551

*Thanks to LJCFYI.com for the design

2 comments:

Angela Apple said...

Ironically I watched the first 3 episodes of Pushing Daisies YESTERDAY!

I love it and can't believe they cancelled it the day after we found each other.

I signed your petition... and feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree. I signed. It had a huge following, as far as I could tell. I wonder if they monitor web traffic, too. What are they going to replace it with? More Two and a Half Men? Ugh.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin