Monday, January 19, 2009

less week, more weekend

Another fun-filled weekend that went by too fast. But it was all very good and this week is a short one as we prepare for Phoenix Comic Con, so there's that to look forward to!

Not too long ago, our friends mentioned that they were interested in going to the Pirate's Dinner Adventure show, so we got us all 4 tickets for Christmas, and we finally went this Saturday. It was alternately hysterical and mind numbing. It is a great acrobatics show, but there isn't much 'story' and it gets confusing quickly. I think kids would REALLY enjoy it (the ones all around us did) but as adults it lacked... something. Lacked it so hard that our friends were ready to leave about 20 minutes into it (despite the free booze with dinner). We stayed and muddled through and when it was done I commented "well, at least you get your money's worth! That was a long show!" and everyone agreed until we saw the clock in the car and realized the entire show is only ninety minutes. Whoa. Lesson learned: don't buy people show tickets as gifts. Next year, everyone gets slippers or something they can return to Target.

The upswing was that we weren't out too late, so we got home with time to watch more of The Tick (awesome) and I finished another painting before Ryan fell asleep on the couch and I dragged him to bed. We were getting up early on Sunday, so it was just as well that he was sleepy then, so we both got some rest.

Sunday morning we woke up bright and early (for us, mind you) to head up to Pasadena for the Doo Dah Parade. SO. MUCH. FUN. I had seen clips of the Doo Dah Parade on TV and in newspapers before and it looked silly and campy and whatever, but never really grabbed my attention. But this year's grand marshal is near and dear to my heart and boy was my imagination inspired and my spirit soaring! The parade is a free-for-all celebration of silliness. If you want to be in it, just show up and get in line. You get lots of costumed folks and local teams and friends, there were drum lines and cheerleaders, and also old guys with bbq's as drums. There was a grungy rabbit with a chainsaw and 20 dachsund friends walking along. Guys with big wheel bicycles and mimes with unicycles. Cigar trucks and flamboyant characters. It is a HOOT. 2010: you have been warned. I will be in your Doo Dah Parade!!

After all that and a fantastic lunch with Miss Kate, we rushed homeward to rinse off the stink (it was low 80's and we got a little sweaty!) and then split up. I dashed over to catch the end of my sister's engagement party, where I was asked to be the Matron of Honor. Which is an honor, except that I don't want to be called "Matron" for any reason. Let's just call it Sister of the Bride, k?

It was an action-packed weekend and by the time I got home at 11pm last night, I was pooped! I fell asleep with visions of wedding cakes (and Cake Wrecks) dancing in my head.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin