Thursday, December 29, 2005

things to do when you are sick

When you're as sick as I am, this is what you do :
  • shake your fist at the people that you suspect infected you
  • insist on spicy chicken to clear your sinuses
  • eat cough drops until you have a permanent indent on the roof of your mouth
  • change pajamas 20 times a day -- this pair's too hot get the ones with shorts now I am freezing where are the ones that are flannel now I am hot again get the tank top no now I am a popsicle get the fleece bottoms no I'm all sweaty...
  • watch DVDs : Arrested Development Season 2 (some episodes repeatedly), Tao of Steve, Six Feet Under, Season 1 [yes, I am aware that I am almost 5 years behind], Gone With the Wind*, Garden State...
  • read books : Talk To The Hand by Lynne Truss (hilarious!), The Hot Zone (read about ebola while you are febrile -- good fun!), Silly Putty and Napalm by George Carlin (oh, uncle George!), Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (good to cuddle up with an old friend when you're unwell)
  • convince the cat to lay by you, thusly : pull fleece blanket on your lap. Wait. Grey cat will be around momentarily to survey the situation and decide that the warmest place in the world to be is between your feet.
  • drink enough tea to make China rich
  • use frozen burritos as ice packs to keep fever in check
  • whine and cry
 
 
*I have been meaning to see this forever, so I added it to my Blockbuster Online queue and it came just in time for me to be sick. Yeah! I wasn't expecting it to be FOUR HOURS LONG, but it was and you know what? It was REALLY good. Didn't feel like an exhausting 4 hours (despite the constant coughing and sore ribs) and the theatrical version even allows a musical 'intermission' so you can go potty and get more juice : brilliant! So now, after all these years, when I hear "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" I understand the true weight of that sentence. Damn, that Rhett Butler.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin