Wednesday, June 22, 2005

tank dwelling things

I have officially retired from raising any tank dwelling creature. A few years ago, I got one of those ant farms and I mailed away for the ants. What I received was a tube of dead ants. Yuk. So I called Uncle Milton and had 'em ship out another tube. Those ones only lasted a day or so. Again, Uncle Milty sent me more -- but the new ones decided that they didn't want to live where the others had died (have you ever tried to pick ant corpses out of sand?) and so they died too.

Last year sometime, Ryan bought me a frog terrarium that was the same premise - they mail you a tadpole, and you watch it grow. Not. Instead the pollywog went belly up after a day. They again sent me another, who lasted only a day longer before kicking the bucket. Ah, well.

Overlord Prong, my blue beta only lived a few months and then went belly-up.

On Sunday, my brother gathered up a jar full of tadpoles from the creek for me, which I greatly appreciated... one more chance for me to disrupt the karmic balance of the world and kill off more baby frogs! *sigh* so I took them home and cared for them the best that I could... but as of today, only 3 remain. They look like the one in the picture here - very cute - but I am scared for them. I am doing my best and following the rules, but flushing them is breaking my heart.

From here on out : no more tank pets

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin