Sunday, May 01, 2005

disney dork

I took Friday off from work to celebrate the finish of my microbio class and just to unwind. We spent the day at Disneyland -- I figured it would be the best time to go, before they unveil their big 50th anniversary bash. It was actually REALLY nice. It was the Magic Music Day, so there were lots of kids, but it wasn't too busy. We had intended to videotape the Storybookland ride for our niece, who desperately wants to ride it and see all of the little houses, but she is too intimidated by the beginning of the ride, where the boat travels through the mouth of the whale (Monstro). Unfortunately, it was closed (secret refurbishment) until next week. Oh, well.

Instead, we took a break and watched the Snow White musical - sounds dorky, but it was REALLY good and very well put together. We were impressed enough to hop over to California Adventure and check out the Aladdin musical, which we've never taken the time to see. It also was fantastic and I kept saying "Miss Bliss would love this!" If you have a chance - go see it. Really, it was that good.

I just received my invite for the Top Secret Special High Falutin' Invite-Only event on May 4th. The park is officially closed that day, except by special invitation (that's me!!). I am thrilled, because I am a total geek and this whole thing is a media/celebrity circus deal to hype up the May 5th kick-off so I am really looking forward to it. So keep an eye out on the local news -- that will be me, arm-in-arm with Johnny Depp and/or Orlando Bloom... or, at the very least, Hilary Duff. Eat your heart out! From what I hear from underground sources, we may get a sneak peek at the refurbished Space Mountain (not scheduled to reopen 'til July). If we do, you'll be the first to know! I'm taking Ryan with me as my eye witness, so he can vouch for my coolness and celebrity connections!

On Friday we also bought the golden mouse ears -- you know, the mouse ear hats? -- that are limited edition for the 50th anniversary (these ones are special gold color with shiny gold ears). Ryan hates them and has steadfastly rejected my requests for over 10 years to buy/wear mouse ears on the basis that he is not the same caliber of geek that I am. But he finally caved and agreed that it would be "cute" to get the hats, as collector's items (i.e., put them in my curio cabinet, not wear them). Also, if you're interested, the hand-embroidery for the hats is being phased out! Replaced by machines, how sad. The guy who did the embroidery on ours was really talented and made everything very curlycue, which is why it makes me so sad to see it go away... I even got Ryan to put on the ears for one picture (I will post tomorrow when I get in to work), which is a collector's item in and of itself.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin