Friday, June 04, 2004

seven

Seven years ago I was cast aside by someone that I thought I cared about.
Seven years ago I bounced back and was ashamed at how my feelings for K had waned.
Seven years ago I finished school while sleeping in the back bedroom, K on the couch.
Seven years ago I was stuck there.
Seven years ago I finally got myself a car and drove the hell away.
Seven years ago I drove to a lonely canyon, big enough only for the desperate and cast-asides.
Seven years ago I was left behind in a nasty friendship divorce.
Seven years ago I cried in a room I had lived in for the previous seven years.
Seven years ago I had only one friend left and was lucky to have him.
Seven years ago we laid quietly in your bedroom in the canyon.
Seven years ago we smoked joints by the horse stable and ate popsicles in the heat.
Seven years ago we were still, side by side, in your tiny room.
Seven years ago you took the leap.
Seven years ago, you turned to me and closed your eyes.
Seven years ago I breathed deep and fought the tears.
Seven years ago you kissed me, awkwardly, and my armor melted.
Seven years ago you told me the story about how it should have been you all along.
Seven years ago you admitted that you loved me, and always had.
Seven years ago I admitted something too – I was scared.
Seven years ago you curled me into your arms and held me while I slept.
Seven years ago I let you love me like you had been waiting so patiently to do.
Seven years ago I chose the best person in the world to stand beside me.
Seven years ago I must have been the smartest girl in the world.

I love you, Ryan. Happy Anniversary.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin