Wednesday, March 24, 2004

rumor mill?

Today I wore the new blouse that I bought yesterday and my ultra-slimming black pinstripe skirt. Coupled with the 5 lbs that I lost last week I thought I looked pretty good. I have decided to let my bangs grow out for a while, so I have been pinning them back - lots of compliments. I guess my forehead really gets 'em going.

Anyway, I was feelin' good... lotsa compliments... then She struck. She is the female Security Guard at work. She is always a little too chipper when I come in at 6:30am. She is the one that always watches you come and go... She remembers your name. Comments on your movements. She makes it a point to call you by name when She passes. Today, I was waiting to pay for my lunch - a modest 1/2 tuna sandwich - and she walks up to me and sayd "Hi Mia. Hey, I heard you were expecting. Congratulations. Do you know if it's a boy or girl? I wanted to get you a gift."

I was stunned.

#1 : no I'm not

#2 : what the fuck?

#3 : is that a fat joke?

#4 : or a bad rumor?

It's possible she had me confused with someone else. She is not someone that I talk to. She's certainly not someone that any of my work friends talks to. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. I mean, people make mistakes. But I was so red in the face. There in front of 20 people, I had to explain that no, I wasn't pregnant. I was so embarrassed. It made me want to go and run a mile.

Is it just me? Am I the only one with any manners anymore? Even when my dainty co-worker was very obviously pregnant, I never asked. First, she didn't share the news with everyone and it wasn't really my business. Second, it is always rude to ask someone if they are pregnant. That goes triple if they happen to be pleasantly plump. The fuck? Man... some people have no tact. Assholes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin