I forgot to take a picture of the skull cake that I made for Ryan's party. :( Fortunately, only a few people actually ate it (we're more of a beer & chips crowd) so there is enough left to take a picture of.
I started with a red velvet cake and baked it in a 9" x 13" pan. I flipped it out onto a serving tray and then cut out the shape of the skull. I scooped out parts for the eyes and nose that weren't frosted, but left red. I was undecided on how to finish the mouth, so I ended up using pieces of cake that were trimmed off in the shaping process.
I used a white vanilla frosting to cover the entire cake (except mouth and nose).
The one bummer was that the foil covering touched the cake during transport and disrupted the frosting. When I tried to fix it, the frosting mixed with the cake crumbs and turned pink. It looks like Skully got beat up... or maybe had some patches of skin still hanging on (ew).
I'll post pictures once I get them.