Monday, March 31, 2003

spring break

This week is my school's designated Spring Break. It seems sort of odd that it is so out of sync with the holiday that inspired the vacation in the first place, but hey, who am I to complain about a few days without school? :)
For those of you who don't know me, perhaps I should explain... I am a college lifer. One of those people that you giggle about when you're a freshman in college and think you're the Bee's Knees... yep, that's me. I've been in college - consistently - since fall of 1995, when I graduated high school. When I first started school, I lived at home and went to school full time... life was grand. And then I needed a car, which requires money, so I got a job... I went through a series of different jobs to accomodate my particular school schedule until I was ready to move out on my own. That took even more money than the car, and so I had to get a higher paying job. Guess what? It's HARD to find a job making decent money that allows you the flexibility to work Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, so you can take classes. So, I shifted my school schedule to night classes. I entered the 9-5 cubicle maze and I haven't found the exit yet.
Usually, I will take 1 or 2 classes each semester, because really that's all that I have time for. This semester, I am taking a Human Anatomy class that requires 4 classes a week - so that takes up all of my free time. Mondays and Wednesdays are the lecture classes and Tuesdays and Thursdays are the laboratory classes. I have been running this routine of night school for years, so it doesn't really bother me and in fact, it makes me more appreciative. Spring Break means a lot to me. Not string bikinis in Florida, but instead, it means I get to go home at night after work. Ah.... just driving home and being home. I'll have time to eat dinner before 10pm and maybe take a dip in the pool... more than that, it means seeing my husband and taking my cats for a walk while it's still light outside (yes, my cats go for walks... that's a whole other story) and running errands. Not that I stop doing these things during a typical week, but I usually squeeze them into the late hours of the night, so that I drop into bed exhausted at 1am or 2am so that I can start the whole process over at 6am the next day.
This year, Spring Break will mean sweeping the front porch and planting new flowers, taking Ruckus out while it's still light enough to see all the dog doo on the grass (very important), and eating dinner at a digestible hour. Man is it going to be good!
I'm also going to take the time to jump start my easter projects. I love making these pinata goodies that I found at Not Martha as easter eggs and filling them with toys. They went over swimmingly last year, so I plan to break out the starch and tissue paper again this week to give myself plenty of time to get crafting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin