Friday, September 26, 2008

call for crafty help

Busy, coupled with lazy, rarely leads to good results. Case in point: I have 5 blog posts that are currently in draft mode waiting for me to finish writing them. Instead, I will post this urgent message to all of you:

I was at the thrift store the other day and they had maybe 20 marching band hats. In good condition. And I was kinda tempted to buy one or seven... but I have no idea what to do with them. Any crafty ideas? I was never in band and hold no particular fondness to these hats... I just like the aesthetic. Plus they had so many!!! (I'm a sucker for just about anything in quantity)

ALSO at the thrift store, they were trying to cope with a huge surge of stuff (this is a small shop) so everything was 50% off, plus anything furniture was 'make us an offer' and all clothing, purses, jackets, etc. were 10 pieces for $20. Which is a good deal (we don't have the t-shirt for 15 cents type stores around here)! I got scooped by some other chick who I swear made eye contact with these Pyrex casserole dishes (except the loves of my life were both turquoise) at the exact moment I did, but she had the balls to make a run for it and grab 'em. The two of them rung up for like $3. It broke my heart a little.

Fortunately, I got what I came for! On Tuesday, we're going to Knott's Berry Farm, which is a theme park nearby that I haven't been to in... oh my gosh... way too long. So, we're going to go. And the whole park is kind of a Wild West theme, so I thought that I would do something dumb, like dress western-y! I thought a gingham skirt would be perfect, so I was heading to Joanns to buy some fabric, when I saw the thrift store and it called to me... I followed it's siren song and scored a red and white gingham dress that is actually kind of tacky (it has watermelon buttons AND embroidered watermelons on the bodice) BUT it is a 2XL or something and very long, and made of nice heavy cotton, which would have cost me about $20 at the fabric store. Instead, I walked outta there with material for several skirts for under $3 -- in fact, I think it was $2. And then I found a dress that was new with tags that was red and white bandanna print and was totally my style! It fits perfect AND again was only $2. I was also looking at jean jackets (I am the only person in America who doesn't have one, apparently) to complete the ensemble and I ended up finding one that was basically tailored exactly for me (short arms, big everything else) that is long (goes to my butt) and was super cute and comfy and AGAIN, only $2.

So I got scooped on casserole dishes, but I got a Knotts outfit plus fabric to make a dress (or two) for the country craft fair thingamajig that is coming up in a couple of weeks. Boy howdy!

1 comment:

Giggly said...

You scored some good deals!
Bummer about the Pyrex dishes, I love to collect those, I have a couple black and white sets of bowels. Casserole dishes would be awesome!

I can't wait to see pics of you all western-y

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin