Monday, June 20, 2005

pop quiz

I forgot to say originally that this was bequeathed to me by Miss Bliss -- who started this whole game? No body knows...

The total number of CDs I own: Not so many... after my ex-boyfriend sold most of my collection [yes, he is an asshole!] to a used record store, I never bothered replacing most of them. I probably have around 200.

The last CDs I bought:

  1. The Randies - At the Friendship Motor Inn
  2. Rise Above : 24 Black Flag Songs to Benefit the West Memphis Three
  3. O'Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack
  4. Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime [was stolen w/my car stereo years ago and I just replaced it]
  5. Pietasters - oolooloo
Five CDs that mean a lot to me:
  1. Don't Know How To Party - Mighty Mighty Bosstones : this CD has been an anthem to my life since I was 16. The music really moved me and had something good to say. It also launched my Bosstones infatuation and sent me traveling across the country to see them play.
  2. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd : when I was a kid, my dad had this tape and I used to take it all the time and play it in my room. The vocals on "Great Gig in the Sky" still give me goosebumps. It was suiting that this was the soundtrack to my drugged out summer days - have you ever sync'd it up with the Wizard of Oz? I have.
  3. Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc. : this was probably the first CD that I bought that actually made my dad smile. He was always a punk rocker (he STILL wears his original Germs t-shirt, c.1977) and it deeply pained him that I might fall into the pop music trap. He spent a goodly amount of money taking me to tons of concerts all through high school - just to make sure that I would appreciate good music. Of course, I bought it to impress a boy that I liked, but that's beside the point. It's a solid piece of music that makes me proud to be a punk baby.
  4. Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack : this was my first record. I was the only person that I ever met who did the 'time warp' at 2 years old. My aunt Sharon used to play this all the time and so after lots of begging, she let me have it and I was so proud of it. I still find myself looking skeptically at people who don't know the lyrics to "Sweet Transvestite" or when to throw the toast.
  5. Sublime - 40 oz. to Freedom : I resisted Sublime for a long time. They were a local band that always too trashed to actually play and it ruined a lot of good shows and I hated them for it. When their last CD came out in '96 my ex-bfriend bought it and forced me to listen. I reminded him of all the times.... the drunk pass-out, the no-show, the cancel w/no refund... and he said 'yeah, but listen' and then I got it. Now I know why people still came out to the shows, hoping for a glimpse of sobriety. Why they flocked all over Sublime. Why they mourned the loss of Bradley. 40 oz. got me through some tough times... it reminds me so much of driving by the beach and crying and screaming and good times and bad... "a 40 oz to freedom is the only chance I have/to feel good even though I feel bad"
Tag five people: This part is hard! I tag Styro Chris, Elfcakes, Estella, JenB, and Brad -- I hope that you haven't already been tagged! I am also tagging G-Man, because he's - as the French & Styro say - 'le rad'

Styro already had been tagged and refuses to play again (*hrmpf!*), so instead Chris is the new Monkey Boy. Get to it!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin