Thursday, January 29, 2004

My favorite little punk ass

I have blogged several times about how much I just adore my brother in law, Evan. He's probably the coolest kid I know. He's probably cooler than any of the kids you know. Seriously, he rules the school.

He's been coming over a lot more lately, which I really enjoy. Last night, he came over for dinner and Chapelle Show and we got into this deep discussion about family. We all agree that family is what you make it. You may be closer with friends than your own sister, and that's ok. You don't have to love someone and be burdened with their problems just because they're related by blood. You don't have to be the one eternally cleaning up the mess... because "she's your sister". We also talked about how glad we are that the three of us are so close. That we each have 2 more people to lean on. People to stand by us and hold our hand... to encourage us and loan us $20. We were all even happier that this was the family that we chose and not just the one that was dealt to us.

That being said, Ryan and I promptly started riding him about getting enrolled in college. He agreed and asked for my help. We got the application filled out and deposited in the mailbox. He was very pleased with himself... and I couldn't be more proud. He's such a fabulously dynamic guy... he can do anything. I told him to go to community college. Try everything. For $18 a unit, you can't go wrong. I don't know what's more rewarding : having someone take your advice and feel good about it - or - the satisfaction of watching a young guy making his way in the world... and knowing that good things are coming for him.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin